Thursday, October 10, 2019

Where to View the Packard Predictor Concept Car

One of my favorite concept cars of the 1950s was the Packard Predictor that I wrote about here.  In that post I mentioned that:

"For me, the most frustrating aspect of the Predictor is that something like it might have revived the Packard brand in the luxury market. That's because it was an example of a restrained 1950s style, unlike the direction Cadillac, Lincoln and Imperial took over the next few years."

I also noted that the Packard brand was dying at the time.  Had the firm been in better financial shape, perhaps something like the Predictor might have emerged to keep matters going for a few more years.

The Predictor still exists, and can be found in the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana where I saw as long ago as 2008.

To give those of you who haven't visited the museum and viewed the Predictor a sense of the place, some photos I took are below.  Click on the images to enlarge.

Gallery

Publicity photo from 1956.

And photos I took September 2019 at the museum.  The gray automobile in the background is the 1934 Bendix SWC experimental car.



No comments: