Monday, August 10, 2020

Dodge Viper as of 2003-2007

Not long ago while I was taking my daily walk in the town where I live (70 miles north of Seattle), I spotted an immaculate Dodge Viper.  Of course I whipped out my iPhone and took a few photos of it.  They are displayed below.

Some background information on the 10-cylinder motor Viper is here.  They were produced from 1991 through 2017 with a hiatus 2011-2012.

The Viper I saw was from the 2003-2007 generation -- I'll call it a 2005 model.  In addition to my photos below, I include images of examples from the first and final Viper generations for context.  My impression is that the 2003-07 Vipers had the cleanest design, but judge for yourself.  Click on the images to enlarge.

Gallery

2005-Vintage Dodge Viper - Donald Pittenger Photos:

Vipers had the traditional Dodge "crosshairs" grille bars.


The styling feature common to all Vipers is the large, engine heat exhaust vent abaft of the front wheel opening.  Its details varied from one Viper generation to the next.  This angular design is less-complicated than those on early and late Vipers.

Rear styling of the 2005-vintage Vipers is cleaner, less-fussy, than otherwise.

1992 Dodge Viper RT/10 - Mecum Auction Photos:

Early Vipers had a flat appearance.

Note the curved shape of the engine heat vent.  That, and the bulbous front fender divide the car into two segments -- thematic unity is destroyed.

2013 Dodge Viper GTS - Factory Publicity Photos:

Final-Generation Vipers seem to have all been coupés.

The heat exhaust vent here is similar (though less-curved) than that of early Vipers.  However, the front fender is less bulged, so this design holds together better.  That said, the 2005 model I saw had better, though less-aggressive, styling.

No comments: