Thursday, June 6, 2019

Small Alfa Romeo Styling Models

In mid-May I visited the Alfa Romeo museum (link here) in Arese, a suburb northwest of Milan where Alfas formerly were built.

One of the displays was of small-scale styling models dating back to apparently around 1950.  These were proposals for factory-built cars, and not for bodies supplied by carrozzeria, as best I can tell.  (Alfa maven readers are encouraged to correct me or provide more details in comments, as my Alfa Romeo knowledge is on the thin side.)

Below are some photos I took.

Gallery

General view of the display.  Photos below mostly deal with items to the left of the spectator.

Extreme left side of the display, presumably the earliest examples.

The model at the upper left appears to be the Alfa Romeo 1900 under development about 1949.  A prototype with the same grille design appeared in 1950.  The six-window sedan design never saw prototype or production.

The same set of models as seen from the rear.

The dark blue model in the upper level might be of the Giulia sedan that was launched in 1955.  As best I can tell, none of the other prospects advanced beyond the model stage.

More still-born concepts, perhaps from the 1960s.

1 comment:

Anthony Henning said...

I would have enjoyed seeing the final production vehicles in this post too, or at least the eventual fruits of these ideas. Nonetheless, I enjoyed seeing these fascinating models. The very last pic, the green model at the bottom right has an interesting treatment of the C pillar reminiscent of a Studebaker Lark prototype by Brooks Stevens I have seen a few times online over the years.